You’ve gotta try this new riff on Chicken Parmesan. It’s Mussels Parmesan. It’s made by steaming mussels in a delicious tomato sauce and then topping them with lots of mozzarella and crunchy breadcrumbs. This post was sponsored by the Mussel Industry Council of Prince Edward Island.
Mussels are such a fun and versatile ingredient. I love using them in tasty fancy-seeming appetizers or as the star of a main course. Today’s recipe is a little bit of both. You can serve it on its own with crusty bread as an appetizer or you can put it on pasta for a main course.
What is this brilliant mussels recipe? It’s Mussels Parmesan! Think of your usual Chicken Parmesan. I know you can picture it. Cheese, tomatoes and lots of crunch. This dish has all the flavors of that one but it uses mussels instead of chicken. So it’s loaded with tomato, mozzarella cheese, crunchy breadcrumbs, and Parmesan. It’s pretty great if I do say so myself.
This dish is really easy to make. But then, most mussels dishes are. That’s because they’re such a quick and easy ingredient to work with. Mussels are also healthy and affordable, making them a great option for weeknights or for entertaining.
What you do is to get some fresh mussles. Keep them on a bed of ice in the fridge until you’re ready to use them.
When you’re ready, check to make sure that all of them are closed tightly. If one is open, tap it. if it doesn’t close, throw it out.
Then you make a basic tomato sauce and get it good and hot in a large frying pan. Add the mussels and stir. Look at them all in there. Sooooo good!
Then you top the mussels and sauce with mozzarella cheese and panko breadcrumbs that you’ve mixed with some olive oil. Panko breadcrumbs are really crispy and are seriously required in this dish.
From there your frying pan goes into a hot oven for 10 minutes. Only 10 minutes! You only need long enough for the mussels to heat through and open up. If any of them don’t open, discard them.
Sprinkle with shredded Parmesan cheese and garnish with fresh basil, if you’d like.
Then scoop the delicious mussels and all the cheesy tomato sauce onto plates or onto pasta. Done!Print
You’ve gotta try this new riff on Chicken Parmesan. It’s Mussels Parmesan. It’s made by steaming mussels in a delicious tomato sauce and then topping them with lots of mozzarella and crunchy breadcrumbs.
- 1 (28 oz.) can of diced tomatoes
- 1 (24 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp. salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 40 fresh mussels, shells scrubbed and rinsed
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Fresh basil leaves as garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In a large oven-safe frying pan, combine the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and the black pepper. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the panko breadcrumbs, olive oil, garlic powder and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Check that all of the mussels’ shells are closed firmly. Discard any that are not closed.
- Place the rest in a single layer in the tomato sauce. Stir.
- Top with the mozzarella and then with the breadcrumbs. Bake until mussels are opened and crumbs are brown, about 10-12 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese and garnish with basil leaves, if using.