No more soggy Monte Cristo sandwiches with this French toast technique on both sides of the bread, at the same time, while building the sandwich right in the pan.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving. Serve with raspberry or strawberry jam, or mustard and mayo for dipping.
Listen to me explain briefly about how to make this sandwich, with some great tips along the way, by clicking the play button below:[sc name="montecristosandwichrotd"][/sc]
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup milk or water
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. granulated sugar
- 8 slices sandwich bread
- Cooking spray
- 12 oz. gruyere or swiss cheese, shredded
- ½ lb. deli honey ham, sliced thin or shaved
- In a medium bowl whisk together eggs, milk, salt, and sugar until well blended and smooth. Transfer mixture to a shallow baking dish large enough to fit a slice of bread.
- Divide cheese evenly into four portions, divide ham evenly into four portions. Set aside.
- Preheat a large non-stick skillet over medium-low heat. Add cooking spray.
- Immediately dip two pieces of bread into egg mixture, transfer bread to skillet. Cook 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until egg coating is set. Flip each piece of bead to cook the other side.
- Working quickly, add one portion of the cheese, reserving about 1 tablespoon, on top of one piece of bread. Top with one portion of the ham. Place the reserved cheese on top of the ham and top with the second piece of bread.
- Continue cooking on medium-low. Gently flip sandwich to continue cooking the other side, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Transfer sandwich to a sheet pan; set aside until ready to serve. Repeat process with remaining ingredients.