Cherry-Lime Margarita Recipe and My Parents’ Love
Today I bring you a twist on a classic margarita recipe. It’s a Cherry and Lime Margarita! First, a story about when I realized that my parents really love each other.
This is a story about cherries. And about love.
Do you remember the moment when you realized how much your parents love each other? I have two moments like that.
The first was when I was about 14 and we went as a family to spend the day at The Forks (an area with restaurants and shops in Winnipeg). We were walking along a path by the river and my parents were ahead of me and my brother. My parents were strolling slowly and holding hands. My mom tilted her head to smile at my dad. The sun hit her face and I could see it in her eyes. I thought, “Wow, she sure does love him.”
The second was about 10 years ago. My dad had picked me up from the airport and was driving me to the resort town where him and my mom had their restaurant. All of a sudden my dad started slowing down on the highway saying, “Oh! I have to pull over here! Just a minute!” He jumped out and jogged over to a highway fruit stand.
I thought, “Seriously? I just flew in from Toronto and we urgently need to stop on the road to buy fruit? Right now? What’s up with that?”
He came back a few minutes later with a big smile on his face and a bigger bag of cherries in his hand. He said, “They have cherries! Finally! Cherry season is Mom’s favorite time of year. I can’t wait to give these to her.”
He smiled the whole rest of the way to the restaurant.
I’m very lucky to have been brought up surrounded by people who love each other that much. And by people who know that food gifts are a perfect way to express it.
It’s cherry season right now. I wonder if my dad has stopped to buy cherries for my mom yet.
Today I’m sharing a Cherry-Lime Margarita Recipe.
The cherries burst their jammy flavor all through this margarita making it a perfect margarita recipe to make for my mom. She also likes lime so there’s plenty of that in there too. I’m not sure if she likes salt on her margaritas. But I do.
So salt, there is!
Oh, and if you love a good margarita recipe, you should also check out the recipe for my margarita with lemon and basil
I hope you enjoy this cherry-lime margarita recipe!
This Cherry Lime Margarita Recipe has a pinch of cinnamon in it. You won't taste it but it brings everything together and really makes the drink special.
- 1 tbsp coarse salt (I use kosher salt)
- 1 lime, plus a couple more wedges for serving
- 12-15 fresh cherries, pitted
- a pinch of cinnamon
- 2 ounces (that's 1/4 cup) tequila
- 1 ounce (that's 2 tbsp) agave syrup or simple syrup
- 4-6 whole unpitted cherries with the stems attached, for serving
- Pour the salt onto a small plate. Cut a wedge out of the lime and cut a little slit into the flesh. Run the slit along the rim of two 6 oz. martini glasses or tumblers. Dip the lime-wetted rims of the glasses in the salt. Set aside.
- Squeeze that same lime wedge into a cocktail shaker. Squeeze the juice from the rest of the lime into the shaker as well. Add the cherries and the cinnamon. Use a muddler or the handle of a wooden spoon to really squish everything up well.
- Add the tequila and the syrup. Put the lid on the cocktail shaker and shake it for at least a minute. Strain the mixture into a small bowl.
- Discard everything from the shaker and rinse it out. Fill the shaker with ice and top it with the liquid from the measuring cup. Shake it. Shake. Shake. Shake it. Everything should be icy cold.
- Fill the salt-rimmed glasses with ice and strain the drink over top. Garnish with fresh whole cherries and more lime wedges.
Check out these other delicious Virtual Picnic recipes:
A potato salad from Mother Thyme perfect for any picnic with tangy mustard, garlic and a little blast of sweet Vidalia onion for kick.
And check out these Dill Chicken and Mango Lettuce Wraps from Sweet Remedy. How light and fresh does that sound?
This recipe is sponsored by the Sweet Vidalia Flavors of Summer in that they provided a giveaway that originally went with this post. The giveaway is now closed.
Celebrate Sweet Vidalia Flavors of Summer with the great tastes of fresh Vidalia Onions, Avocados from Mexico, Gourmet Garden Herbs, Johnsonville Italian Sausage, mangos, watermelon and Stemilt Cherries. Great food and good friends make everyday a party to remember so start entertaining and visit www.flavors-of-summer.com for recipes, coupons and entertaining tips.
The Virtual Picnic recipes so far have been a bit of summer heaven. They make me want to roll up the hem of my jeans and dangle my feet in the pool. Oh heck, who am I kidding? They just make me want to EAT!
15 Responses to “Cherry-Lime Margarita Recipe and My Parents’ Love”
- Lemon-Basil Margarita Recipe
- 30 Cinco de Mayo Inspired Cocktails - Kitchen Meets Girl
- 22 Cherry Recipes To Keep You Cool - Cook the Story
- 45+ Fresh Cherry Recipes | Cravings of a Lunatic
- Cherry Recipes | Recipe Girl
- Picnic Recipes Galore (and another giveaway!) - Cook the Story
- BBQ Sauce with Mango, Chipotle and Lime - Sweet, Spicy and Tangy