What’s better than stuffed peppers? Macaroni and Cheese Stuffed Peppers! An easy and ridiculously delicious meal or side dish any night.
- 1 lb. elbow macaroni noodles
- 6 bell peppers
- 8 oz. cream cheese (1/3 fat cream cheese works fine in here)
- 8 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp. dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 6 tsp. panko bread crumbs
- Baking spray
- Preheat oven to 450ºF.
- Cook the macaroni according to package directions. While it cooks, prep the peppers either by cutting them in half front stem through to bottom and then deseeding or by cutting off the stem end of the pepper and de-seeding (see explanations for both of these methods plus more stuffed pepper info like how to deal with unsteady tipping peppers over here). Arrange peppers cut-side-up on a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Make the macaroni and cheese sauce by measuring the cream cheese, cheddar cheese, and milk into a microwave-safe bowl. Cook in the microwave 1 minute at at time for 3-5 minutes, stirring after each interval until sauce is fairly smooth with no big cream cheese chunks. Whisk in the mustard, salt, and cayenne.
- Drain the macaroni noodles well and then combine them with the sauce. Let sauce sit on noodles for 5-10 minutes. Stir well and then fill peppers with macaroni and cheese.
- Top each pepper with some of the panko crumbs and then spray tops lightly with baking spray. Bake until breadcrumbs are browned and peppers are desired tenderness, 20-25 minutes.*
You can use leftover macaroni and cheese to stuff peppers. Just make sure it’s a really creamy recipe. If it’s a bit dry, add dribbles of warm milk to the pasta and stir before stuffing the peppers.
*If you like your peppers very soft, bake them for 40 minutes at 350ºF instead of 20-25 minutes at 450ºF.