Making short ribs in the Instant Pot is not only quicker than a traditional braise, but they turn out more perfectly than any other way I’ve tried. You’re going to love this recipe!
Listen to learn how to make this recipe, along with some great tips from Christine:[sc name="ipbeefshortribsupdatedrotd"][/sc]
- 3 lbs. beef short ribs (with bone), about 8 pieces
- 2 tsp. salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 cups low-sodium beef stock
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic glaze
- Season the short ribs all over with 1 teaspoon of the salt, the black pepper, and garlic powder.
- Pour the beef stock into the Instant Pot. Add the trivet or a heat-proof steamer basket* to the Instant Pot.
- Arrange the short ribs in a single layer on the trivet. If they need to be on their sides to be in a single layer, that’s fine.
- Secure the lid of the Instant Pot and turn the valve to Sealing. Set it to pressure cook on high for 30 minutes. After it has finished the 30 minutes of pressure cooking, leave the valve at Sealing to allow a natural release of pressure for 15 minutes. Turn the valve to Venting to release any remaining pressure and then once the pressure button has dropped, remove the lid.
- Use tongs to remove the ribs from the Instant Pot.
- Brush the ribs all over lightly with the olive oil (or use a mister) and season with the remaining 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Do the reverse sear. To Revere Sear In The Air Fryer: Arrange the ribs in a single layer in the air fryer. Cook at 400F until they are nice and brown, about 7-10 minutes. To Reverse Sear Under The Broiler: Preheat broiler. Arrange the ribs in a single layer on a broiler pan. Set the pan on a rack about 6-8 inches from the heat source. Broil ribs until browned, 3-5 minutes. Flip and brown the other side, about 3-5 Minutes.
- Brush ribs lightly all over with the balsamic glaze.