This easy Instant Pot Pork Carnitas recipe turns a pork shoulder in tender, juicy shredded pork perfect for creating delicious street-style tacos.
For tacos, serve with warm tortillas, shredded cabbage, lime wedges, and cilantro.
- 4 lbs. pork shoulder or pork butt, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 4 Tbsp. vegetable or olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. paprika
- Pat pork dry and season with salt and pepper.
- Add oil to the inner pot and select SAUTÉ to pre-heat. When the indicator says HOT, work in batches, adding the pork to the pot in a single layer, browning evenly. Continue until all pork has been seared.
- Add all of the pork back into the inner pot. Switch to the WARM setting and add orange juice, lime juice, and water to the inner pot, scraping to loosen the bits and pieces on the bottom.
- Add the garlic, cumin, chili powder, oregano, coriander, and paprika, stirring to combine.
- Close and lock the lid. Make sure the steam release handle is in the sealed position.
- Select PRESSURE COOK and cook on HIGH, setting the time for 30 minutes.
- When time is up, allow the pressure to release naturally for 15 minutes. Turn the steam release handle to the venting position and allow the rest of the steam to escape. When the valve has dropped, unlock the lid and open carefully. Remove pork to a large bowl and shred using two forks. If you like, you can add a little of the cooking liquid to the shredded pork.
Optional: Place the shredded pork on a rimmed baking sheet and broil in the oven until a crisp crust is formed, about 3 minutes.