Instant Pot Hungarian Goulash is a delicious beef stew with onions and potatoes and full of flavor from paprika.
- 2 lbs. stewing beef, in 1 ½-inch chunks
- 3 tsp. salt, divided
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 Tbsp. cooking oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. paprika
- 4 cups low or no-sodium beef broth, divided
- A pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- 4 medium potatoes, in 1 ½-inch chunks
- ¼ cup flour
- Season the beef with 2 teaspoons of the salt, and the pepper.
- Set the Instant Pot to Sauté on high and add the oil.
- Add half of the beef to the oil and cook untouched until browned underneath, 3-4 minutes. Stir and cook until browned underneath, 3-4 more minutes. Transfer beef to a plate. Repeat with remaining beef, adding more oil if needed.
- Add onion and bell pepper to the Instant Pot and sauté until softened, 3-5 minutes.
- Add the paprika, the 1 remaining teaspoon of salt, red pepper flakes (if using), and 3 cups of the beef broth. Stir and scrape the bottom of the pot to make sure that nothing has stuck to it anywhere.
- Return the beef to the pot and add the potatoes. Stir.
- Set to pressure cook on high for 15 minutes and make sure the knob is set to Sealing.
- Once the Instant Pot has finished the 15 minutes of pressure cooking, set it to do a Natural Release for 10 minutes. Then turn the knob to Venting and allow the remaining pressure to release. Once the pressure valve has dropped, take off the lid.
- Measure the flour into a jar. Add the remaining 1 cup of beef broth to the jar. Put the lid on and shake until the flour mixture is smooth.
- Add the flour mixture to the Instant Pot and stir.
- Set the Instant Pot to sauté and bring it to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Divide among soup bowls.