An easy and delicious way to eat more greens, the Instant Pot makes light work of cooking collard greens just right.
Listen to me explain briefly about how to make this instant pot dish, with some great tips along the way, by clicking the play button below:[sc name="ipcollardgreensrotd"][/sc]
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ lb. (half a pkg.) uncooked bacon, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 16 cups (about 1 and ½ lbs.) pre-washed and chopped collard greens
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Select the Sauté button on the Instant Pot to preheat. When “Hot” is displayed add oil, bacon, onion, salt, garlic powder, and crushed red pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent, about 2 minutes. Press the Cancel button.
- Add stock; stir, scraping up any brown bits. Add collards.
- Place lid on pot, lock in place. Set the valve to Sealing. Select the Pressure Cook button and set the timer for 7 minutes. After cook time is complete, immediately switch valve to Venting to release pressure.
- Remove lid. Stir collards to coat in pan broth; serve warm.
- For easy prep, purchase pre-washed and chopped collards, found in the produce section of the grocery store.
- Freeze the unused bacon for other recipes, or cook and crumble as a topping for the collards.
- Don’t like spicy food? Omit the crushed red pepper flakes.