Southwest Chicken Pasta is a one-pot Instant Pot chicken dinner that delivers a flavor-packed meal in minutes.
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 and 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 (15-oz) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (4-oz) can chopped green chilis
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 12 oz. fettuccine
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Set aside
- Add oil to the inner pot and select SAUTÉ to pre-heat. When the indicator says HOT, add the chicken to the pot and cook stirring occasionally, until the chicken starts to brown, about 2 – 3 minutes. Add the onion and the garlic and cook for another 4 minutes.
- Stir in the chili powder, cumin, and oregano and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup of the chicken stock and deglaze the pot, scraping the bottom to loosen all of the bits.
- Add the tomatoes and green chilis and stir to combine.
- Press CANCEL and add the cream, stirring to combine well. Do not stir after this point.
- Break the fettuccine in half and place on top of the cream and chicken mixture. Do not stir.
- Pour the remaining chicken broth over the noodles – remember, no stirring.
- Close and lock the lid. Make sure the steam release handle is in the sealed position. Select PRESSURE COOK and cook on high. Set 5 minutes of pressure cooking time.
- When time is up, allow a natural pressure release of 5 minutes and then turn the steam release handle to the venting position and allow remaining steam to escape. When the valve has dropped, unlock the lid and open carefully.
- Press CANCEL and add the Cheddar and pepper Jack cheeses stirring to combine.
- Replace the lid and allow the residual heat to melt the cheese, about 3 minutes. Stir in the cilantro and serve immediately.