These good-luck, creamy, tender beans cook up twice as fast in the Instant Pot so you can celebrate a prosperous new year to come, quicker than ever.
Listen to me explain briefly about how to make this Instant Pot bean recipe, with some great tips along the way, by clicking the play button below:[sc name="ipblackeyedpeasrotd"][/sc]
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ lb. (half a pkg.) uncooked bacon, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 and ½ tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lb. black-eyed peas, picked through, rinsed
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Select the Sauté button on the Instant Pot to preheat. When “Hot” is displayed add oil, bacon, onion, salt, garlic powder, thyme, and bay leaf. Cook, stirring occasionally until onion is translucent, about 2 minutes. Press the Cancel button.
- Add black-eyed peas and stock; stir until well combined.
- Place lid on pot, lock in place. Set the valve to Sealing. Select the Pressure Cook button and set the timer for 15 minutes. After cook time is complete, let stand 15 minutes. Move valve to Venting to release any remaining pressure.
- Remove lid. Stir beans; serve warm with pan sauce.
- If you prefer beans with more of a creamy, refried consistency, increase the cook time by 15 additional minutes.
- Freeze unused bacon, or cook and crumble as a crunchy topping for the black-eyed peas.