Delicious fish is quick and easy—follow my simple tips and it’ll be perfect every time!
- 1 and ½ pounds fish fillets, with or without skin, whichever you prefer
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. olive oil (see note)
- Sprinkle both sides of the fish with the salt and pepper.
- In each of one or two large skillets (you need enough skillet surface area to hold the fillets without crowding), heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium-high.
- When the oil is hot, add the fish and cook undisturbed until golden brown, 1 to 3 minutes.
- Turn the fish and continue cooking until golden brown on the other side and barely opaque throughout, 1 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer the fish to plates and let rest for about 5 minutes before serving.
- If your fillets are on the thin side, say ½ inch or less, you can use half oil and half butter. (I don’t recommend butter for thicker fillets because they need a little longer in the skillet and, in that time, the butter can burn.)