Here you’ll learn how to make bacon lardons from frozen bacon. Keep a block of frozen bacon in your freezer and you can cut off a bit as instructed below using this method whenever you want a bit of bacon.
- 1 (16 oz.) package of frozen bacon
- Unwrap the bacon and put it on a cutting board.
- Use a sharp knife to cut across all of the slices (as opposed to lengthwise along the slices). You want to cut about 1/2 inch pieces. You’ll get a piece of bacon that is comprised of a bunch of small pieces frozen together. Repeat with as much of the bacon as you need. Put any remaining bacon into a zip top bag and into the freezer.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the frozen pieces of bacon. Cover the skillet to speed up the defrosting.
- Stir the bacon often to help it break apart into lardons as it defrosts, and to help it to cook evenly.
- Once most of the bacon has broken apart, increase the heat to medium-high and cook the bacon lardons until they are to the desired crispness. I find that draining some of the fat from the pan can help crisp the bacon more.
- Transfer the cooked lardons to a plate lined with paper towel to drain any fat off of.