Homemade Potato Chips Baked on a Pizza Stone
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. Thanks for supporting COOKtheSTORY!
Today I’m telling you how to make healthy crispy homemade potato chips using a pizza stone. They’re simply delicious!
Why should you use a pizza stone when making homemade potato chips? Because it makes the chips crispy. And who doesn’t like a crispy potato chip?
The other nice thing about using a pizza stone is that the chips don’t stick to it even with minimal oil. So these homemade potato chips are made with very little oil and are very healthy.
(Note: A brand new pizza stone, and other baking stones, sometimes need to be seasoned before they are non-stick. Try baking some butter-filled biscuits on the pan to season it. Or rub it lightly with vegetable oil and bake it at 400 for 30 minutes. Wipe off any remaining oil. Don’t use soap when washing your pizza stone. Ever. Just a clean wet cloth. If anything does stick to it, a metal spatula can get under the stick to scrape it up).
Looking for a delicious dip to go with your crispy chips? Try this Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip.
Now, here’s my easy method for making homemade potato chips.
Homemade Potato Chips on a Pizza Stone
These homemade potato chips are as simple to make as they are crisp and healthy.
- 3 small red potatoes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Slice the potatoes into 1/8" thick slices (I used the #3 setting on my OXO Hand-Held Mandolin Slicer. Put the slices in a large bowl of cold water andlet them sit for 5-10 minutes. Drain the potatoes and pat them dry with kitchen towel.
- Measure the olive oil into a dry bowl. Add the dried potato slices and toss to coat in the oil. Use your fingers to separate slices so that all sides get a bit of slickness.
- Arrange the slices in a single layer on a pizza stone. Sprinkle with the salt.
- Bake until chips are crisp and are browned at the outside edges, 25-30 minutes. (Note, sometimes the chips in the middle of the pan are browned and ready before those at the outside edges. Remove cooked chips as they're ready.)
- Store chips uncovered in a single layer for up to 8 hours.
What’s your favorite healthy potato recipe? Head over to the Cook the Story Facebook Page and post about it. Or scroll down to leave a comment here.
Disclosure: This post was originally part of a giveaway sponsored by Black Gold Farms and Body Media. All opinions are my own.