An instant oatmeal recipe that you prep the night before you want it, then it’s ready to warm and eat the next morning.
- 8 cups water (or 4 cups water and 4 cups milk, but see * in notes)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup Irish steel cut oats
- Optional toppings: brown sugar, maple syrup, blueberries, banana slices, flaked almonds, milk
- While making dinner or before going to bed, pour the water into a large pot. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the salt.
- Stir in the oats. Stir continuously over high heat for one minute. Remove from heat. Cover. Put the pot directly into the fridge or allow it to cool on the counter before putting it into the fridge.
- In the morning, fill a bowl with about 1 cup of the now-cooked but cold oatmeal. Warm it in the microwave for 1-2 minutes. Pile on some toppings. Perfect accompanied by the people you love (and/or by a cup of coffee).
This makes enough for my family for two mornings. After Morning #1, cover the pot and put it back in the fridge. On Morning #2 you might notice that some liquid has separated from the cooked oats. Not to worry! Give it a stir and it will happily reunite.
*If using a combination of milk and water (or all milk for that matter) as the base for you oatmeal, make sure that your milk doesn’t burn on the bottom of the pot and that the pot doesn’t boil over. To do so, heat the water + milk more slowly (over medium heat) and stir very often.