Chip dip recipes are a staple for parties and game day. This old time favorite French Onion Dip is made from scratch (no packet of dried onions here!) but it tastes just like the original. Dip in!
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 medium-large regular cooking onions, chopped (approximately 2 cups once chopped)
- 1 and ½ cups sour cream (light and fat free sour cream work here if that’s what you prefer)
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- In a medium skillet over medium heat warm the olive oil. Add the chopped onions. Cook and stir until softened but not darkening, about 3-4 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and cover. Stir occasionally while letting them cook until soft and brown and squishy, about 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl combine sour cream, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Once cooked, add onions to sour cream mixture. Stir to combine. Taste. Add more salt if desired.