This recipe makes enough for one big coffee gift or you can divide it into smaller jars and give it to a few people. Or just keep it all to yourself and jolt yourself into the holidays along with me!
- 4 cups dark roasted ground coffee
- 8 cinnamon sticks
- 80 whole allspice berries
- 40 whole cloves
- 20 whole black peppercorns
- Pour the ground coffee into a large jar or container that has a tight-fitting lid.
- Into a mortar, break up the cinnamon sticks a bit using your fingers. Add the remaining ingredients and then use a pestle to gently crush everything up. You want the cinnamon sticks to still be in chunky pieces and most of the other spices to be less-than-whole but not powdery. (Be careful not to crush too forcefully as the little allspice berries like to come jumping out of the bowl and onto the floor, which is annoying if you don’t notice them there and then find them stuck to your feet later on).
- Add the crushed up spices to the coffee in the jar. Put the lid on and shake it all up.