The potatoes for these grilled shrimp and potato kebabs are given a head start in the microwave so that they grill in the same amount of time as the shrimp. It ends up being a quick dinner on a stick. Just add a little salad and you’re good to go.
- 12 12-in. skewers
- 2 lbs. small red potatoes
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. pesto
- 1 Tbsp. BBQ sauce (a sweet one with brown sugar in it is great)
- 36 large shrimp (1 to 1 and 1/2 lbs.)
- 2 bell peppers, seeded and cut into 12 squares each
- If the skewers are wooden, put them in some water to soak.
- Prick each potato two or three times with a fork. Put them in a single layer on a large microwave-safe plate. Microwave for three minutes.
- Flip them all over and microwave until fork-tender, 2-4 more minutes.
- In a small bowl mix together the olive oil, pesto, and BBQ sauce.
- Preheat the grill for medium-heat direct grilling.
- Thread the potatoes, shrimp, and bell peppers onto the skewers, 2 of each item per skewer. Brush all over with the pesto mixture.
- Grill on the first side until grill marks appear on the underside of the potatoes, 4-5 minutes. Flip and continue to grill until shrimp are opaque and pink and the potatoes and peppers have lots of nice grill marks, another 3-5 minutes.