Note that you can cook the butternut squash ahead of time for this dish. Then pack all of the ingredients separately and keep them cool until you’re ready to assemble the skewers. Grill them immediately.
- 6 6-in. wooden skewers
- ½ of a 3lb. butternut squash (the narrower top half), peeled
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. grape seed or vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 6 1-in. thick sea scallops (about 1/2 lb.)
- 12 medium-sized basil leaves
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- Put skewers in water to soak.
- Cut the squash into 12 cubes. Put in a medium saucepan with ½ tsp. salt and the sugar and add water just to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer and cook until a skewer goes through the middle easily, 4-7 minutes. Drain. Toss gently with the oil.
- Preheat the grill for direct grilling over medium heat. Toss the butter with the scallops.
- Onto a soaked skewer thread a cube of squash, a basil leaf, a scallop, and then another basil leaf and another cube of squash. Repeat with remaining skewers. Grill until scallops are just cooked through, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine the yogurt, garlic, lemon zest, chopped basil, black pepper, and 1/8 teaspoon of salt. Serve the skewers with the dip.