Grilled French Fries
Note: COOK the STORY may receive a commission on purchases made through Amazon/affiliate links.
Grilled french fries are really easy to make. The best thing about them is that you can do most of the work ahead. Find out all about how to make grilled french fries below.
Did you know that French Fries were first introduced to the US in 1801? How many fries do you think we’ve eaten in this country since then?
Well, let’s see. There are about 314 Million people here. And a bit of googling has told me that we eat 29 pounds of fries per person per year. That would be easy to calculate except that when French Fries were first introduced we probably ate less of them. And there were fewer people here then too. We need some kind of linear graph to figure it out. My brain has exploded just thinking about it.
Tell you what, if you do the math, I’ll send you a prize. Leave a comment in the comment section below showing your calculations and answer. First person with a believable calculation wins!
Why all this French Fry talk? I’ve discovered grilled French fries. They’re pretty special. And so easy to make.
The best thing about them is you can get them ready ahead of time.
You parboil the potatoes whole and unpeeled (so easy!). At which point you let them cool down and then refrigerate them until you’re ready to grill. Cut them into wedges and toss them with olive oil and salt and pepper. Put them on the grill just until heated through and covered in glorious grill marks.
One caveat: When talking to your kids, and don’t call these “French Fries”. Call them “Potato Wedges”. My kids were a bit disappointed by the lack of an overall golden color and were confused by the brown stripes. They said, “These aren’t fries!” (They ate them though!)
On the other hand, when talking to grownups, do call them “Grilled French Fries”. They won’t notice the lack of an overall golden color and will be very impressed by those brown stripes.
A great recipe that can be served with these grilled fries are Indian-spiced grilled chicken kebabs. Be sure to check out the recipe!
And now, here’s my Grilled French Fries recipe:
Grilled french fries are really easy to make. The best thing about them, is that you can do most of the work ahead!
- 4 medium baking potatoes, whole and unpeeled
- 6 Tbsp. oil
- 3/4 tsp. salt. divided
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- Put potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat..
- Reduce to a low simmer and cook until fork goes in easily but meets a tiny bit of resistance at center, 6-8 minutes. Drain the potatoes.
- Preheat grill for direct grilling over medium-high heat.
- Cut potatoes into 8 wedges each. Put them in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and the pepper. Pour over potatoes. Toss to coat evenly.
- Put on grill. Cook 3-4 minutes per side. When the potatoes come off the grill, add the rest of the salt.
Leave a Comment