The contrast of the warm chicken and cold vegetables makes this Grilled Chicken Salad a summer-time-one-dish-meal favorite.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl combine the olive oil, lemon juice, salt, Dijon mustard, honey, pepper, thyme, and garlic powder, Whisk to combine.
- Place chicken breasts in a resealable plastic bag. Add 3 tablespoons of the vinaigrette to the bag. Massage the chicken through the plastic to distribute the marinade. Allow the chicken to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Prepare the grill for direct cooking and heat to medium-high heat. For charcoal grilling, fill a chimney starter with charcoal and light. Once the coals are ready, (they should have grey edges) pour them evenly over the charcoal grate. Set the cooking grate over the coals. For a gas grill, set the burners to medium-high heat. Preheat for 5 minutes. Clean and oil the cooking grate once the grill has preheated.
- Place the chicken breasts on the cooking grate and grill for until for 5 – 6 minutes, you should have some nice grill marks. Turn and continue cooking until internal temperature reaches 155˚F, about 5 – 10 more minutes depending upon the size of the breasts.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare the salad. Dress the romaine with 3 – 4 tablespoons of the vinaigrette, tossing to coat. Transfer to a large serving platter. Arrange the tomatoes, avocado, and onion around the outside of the dressed romaine.
- Drizzle some of the remaining vinaigrette over the tomatoes, avocado, and onion. Reserving enough to drizzle over the chicken and serve on the side.
- Remove the chicken from the grill and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Slice thinly, and place over the lettuce, drizzle with some of the vinaigrette. Serve immediately with the remaining vinaigrette on the side.