If you don’t want cozy oven-baked meals in the summer, try out this grilled version of a classic meal. Serve it with french fries and Caesar salad for the perfect meal.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 2 lbs. total)
- Olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- ½ cup finely shredded (not grated) parmesan cheese
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- Coarse black pepper
- 1 large tomato, sliced into 8 slices
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8–12 fresh basil leaves
- Flatten the chicken breasts: Put one breast into a large ziptop bag but keep it unzipped. Use a flat mallet or heavy rolling pin to hit the chicken breast at the thickest part. Continue to do so, moving around a bit, until the chicken is of an even thickness of approximately ¾-inch. Remove chicken from bag and repeat one at a time with remaining breasts.
- If the bag is in good shape (no holes) measure ¼ cup of olive oil and the lemon juice into the bag (or use a new bag or a baking dish). Add the flattened chicken and turn to coat. Refrigerate while preparing the rest of the ingredients.
- Into a small skillet measure the panko, Parmesan, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, ¼ teaspoon of salt, and ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder. Put over medium-low heat and stir frequently so that the Parmesan doesn’t clump up as it melts. Stir and cook until toasted to a golden crunchy brown, about 3-4 minutes. Transfer immediately to a large plate so that the crumbs stop cooking and cool. Set aside.
- Prepare the grill for direct cooking on medium-high heat.
- Drain the liquid off of the chicken breasts and discard. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper on both sides. Transfer breasts to prepared grill.
- Cover and cook until there are nice dark grill marks, 3-4 minutes. Flip the breasts over.
- Top each one with 2 slightly overlapping slices of tomato, ¼ cup of the shredded mozzarella and ¼ of the toasted bread crumbs. Cover and cook just until breasts are cooked through and cheese is melted, 3-4 minutes longer.
- Transfer to serving plate and top each breast with 2-3 basil leaves.