If you don’t want cozy oven-baked meals in the summer, try out this grilled version of a classic meal. Serve it with grilled french fries and caesar salad for the perfect meal.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 2 lbs. total)
- olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup finely shredded (not grated) parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- coarse black pepper
- 1 large tomato, sliced into 8 slices
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8–12 fresh basil leaves
- Flatten the chicken breasts: Put one breast into a large ziptop bag but keep it unzipped. Use a flat mallet or heavy rolling pin to hit the chicken breast at the thickest part. Continue to do so, moving around a bit, until the chicken is of an even thickness of approximately 3/4-inch. Remove chicken from bag and repeat one at a time with remaining breasts.
- If the bag is in good shape (no holes) measure 1/4 cup of olive oil and the lemon juice into the bag (or use a new bag or a baking dish). Add the flattened chicken and turn to coat. Refrigerate while preparing the rest of the ingredients.
- Into a small skillet measure the panko, Parmesan, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder. Put over medium-low heat and stir frequently so that the Parmesan doesn’t clump up as it melts. Stir and cook until toasted to a golden crunchy brown, about 3-4 minutes. Transfer immediately to a large plate so that the crumbs stop cooking and cool. Set aside.
- Prepare the grill for direct cooking on medium-high heat.
- Drain the liquid off of the chicken breasts and discard. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper on both sides. Transfer breasts to prepared grill. Cover and cook until there are nice dark grill marks, 3-4 minutes. Flip the breasts over. Top each one with 2 slightly overlapping slices of tomato, 1/4 cup of the shredded mozzarella and 1/4 of the toasted bread crumbs. Cover and cook just until breasts are cooked through and cheese is melted, 3-4 minutes longer. Transfer to serving plate and top each breast with 2-3 basil leaves.