These easy Indian-spiced grilled chicken kebabs are marinated in yogurt and have a spicy, creamy yogurt dipping sauce to serve on the side. I like to grill some naan bread and cut it into wedges to serve with it as well.
- 12– 6″ skewers
- 1 and 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, divided
- 1 small onion, peeled and cut into 4 pieces
- 1 red chili, seeded and cut into a few pieces
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. curry powder
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 1 and 3/4 lbs.)
- 1 medium tomato, cut into a few pieces
- 1/3 cup cilantro leaves
- Fill a large pot or sink with warm water. Add the skewers.
- Into a food processor put 1 cup of the Greek yogurt and the onion pieces, red chili, garlic, cumin, and curry powder. Puree until smooth.
- Poke each chicken thigh all over with a fork. Unroll a thigh on a cutting board. Cut it in half lengthwise so that you have two long strips of chicken meat. Thread each strip onto a wet skewer and put them into a 9″x11″pan. Repeat with the remaining chicken thighs.
- Pour HALF of the yogurt and onion mixture from the food processor over the chicken skewers (set the remaining mixture in the food processor aside. It will be used to make a sauce). Turn the chicken skewers to coat them. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour but up to 12 hours.
- Meanwhile, squeeze some of the juice out of the tomato pieces and then add them to the yogurt and onion mixture in the food processor. Also add the cilantro and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Puree until smooth. Gently stir in the remaining 1/2 cup of yogurt. Cover and refrigerate the sauce.
- When ready to cook the chicken, preheat grill for medium direct heat grilling. Sprinkle the chicken on all sides with salt. Put chicken skewers on the grill and let them sit until nice grill marks appear on the undersides, about 3-5 minutes. Flip. Continue to cook the chicken, flipping occasionally, until cooked through, about another 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from grill and serve with the chilled yogurt sauce.