Grilled beets are a perfect side dish served with a tangy balsamic glaze. The fire adds a smoky flavor and caramelizes them to an almost candy-like flavor.
- 4 large beets about 2 lbs., peeled and sliced into ¼-inch thick rounds
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil, grapeseed or canola
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ cup balsamic glaze, optional, for serving
- Prepare the grill for direct cooking and heat to medium-high heat. For charcoal grilling, fill a chimney starter with charcoal and light. Once the coals are ready, pour them evenly over the charcoal grate. Set the cooking grate over the coals. For a gas grill, set the burners to medium-high heat. Preheat for 5 minutes. Clean and oil the cooking grate once the grill has preheated.
- In a large bowl, place the sliced beets, drizzle with the oil and sprinkle with salt. Toss to coat.
- Arrange the beets on the cooking grate in a single layer. Close the lid and cook for 8 – 10 minutes, checking after they have cooked for 6 minutes.
- Turn each beet slice over, close lid and continue to cook for another 8 – 10 minutes. Again checking after 6 minutes.
- Transfer to a platter and serve with a balsamic glaze.