Traditional Hungarian Goulash is the definition of comfort food. Rich tomato based sauce with tender beef covered egg noodles.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 cup diced and peeled carrots
- 1 cup diced green pepper
- 1 lb. beef stew meat
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp. sweet paprika
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 16 oz. tomato sauce
- 6 oz. tomato paste
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 (12oz.) bag of egg noodles
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Add the olive oil to a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add the diced onion, diced carrot, and diced green pepper.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes, or until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Add the meat and cook for 5 before adding the garlic, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Saute for 3 additional minutes and add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, and beef broth.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, cover and reduce to a simmer.
- After the goulash has simmered for 20 minutes, boil a large pot of water for the egg noodles.
- Cook the egg noodles according to the package directions and drain.
- Remove the goulash from the heat and stir in the sour cream.
- Serve the goulash sauce over a bed of egg noodles, top with more sour cream if desired, and enjoy.