Gin and Tonic with Fresh Watermelon
Today’s watermelon and gin cocktail is a riff on the classic Gin and Tonic. But it has refreshing watermelon added to the mix. A perfect drink to sip on while lounging on a lawn chair.
Did you know that there are more classic cocktails made with gin than with any other spirit? Here’s a bunch of them that you may have heard of: Negroni, Ramos Gin Fizz, Martinez, Gin Rickey, Red Snapper, Tom Collins, White Lady, Hanky Panky, Clover Club, Alexander, French 75, Gimlet, Vesper, Singapore Sling, Silver Bronx, Pegu Club, Bee’s Knees, Southside* and of course, the queen of them all, the Gin and Tonic.
But until very recently I very much hated this popular spirit.
I realized it when I found myself pouring a full glass of gin and orange juice down my in-laws bathroom sink. My in-laws’ pre-dinner drink of choice had always been a G&T. I tasted their drinks several times but never wanted one of my own. I’d take one sip and my tongue would curl back into my throat. So bitter!
One day my mother-in-law suggested that I try gin with orange juice instead of tonic. Maybe it’s the tonic I don’t like. She poured me a big glass full of the stuff. I took one sip, felt my tongue puckering backwards and then quietly made my way to the bathroom to spill the drink down the sink without anyone noticing.
And then I snuck back into the kitchen and filled my glass with orange juice. I slurped that orange juice up so fast it made them think that I really loved gin when in actuality I was just anxious to move onto my preferred cold white wine.
But then a strange thing happened. A year or so ago when my in-laws were visiting, I offered them a G&T before dinner. My mother-in-law asked if I still disliked them. I said I think so but I haven’t tried one a long time. She offered me a sip.
This Watermelon Gin and Tonic Cocktail is so refreshing on hot summer days. Puree the watermelon ahead of time and put it in the fridge. When you want to make a drink, put some gin, tonic and ice in a glass and then top it with your watermelon juice. Pick it up and carry it to your lawn chair.
For a fun riff on the classic G&T, be sure to check out this one with rosemary for Christmas.
And now, here’s my Watermelon Gin and Tonic Recipe:
Gin and tonic with fresh watermelon
This Watermelon Gin and Tonic is a summery riff on the classic G&T with fresh watermelon added to the mix. A perfect drink to sip on while lounging on a lawn chair.
- 3 pound watermelon, about 1/4 of a medium sized watermelon,
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 oz gin
- 2 oz tonic, cold
- Remove the rind from the watermelon and discard. Puree the pink flesh. Strain it through a fine mesh sieve to remove pulp, being sure to capture all the juice that drips through. Discard the pulp. You should have about 2 cups of watermelon juice.
- To the watermelon juice add the lime juice and lemon juice. Taste. You want a bit of sour to come through. If necessary add another tablespoon of lemon juice. Chill the juice.
- The watermelon citrus juice is enough to make five drinks. For each drink pour 1 ounce gin, 2 ounce tonic and 3 ounces of the watermelon citrus juice into a tall glass. Add a few ice cubes. Sip!
13 Responses to “Gin and Tonic with Fresh Watermelon”
- A Gin and Tonic Recipe for Christmas
- Top 15 Juice Recipes for 2015 | The Facts on Fruit Juice
- 25+ Magnificent Melon Recipes - A Family Feast