Learn how to make garlic knots at home. They’re delicious and so easy.
- 2 tsp. coarsely ground cornmeal
- 1 ball of pizza dough (1 lb. or enough for a large pizza), Homemade Pizza Dough or use store-bought
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Sprinkle a large baking sheet with the cornmeal.
- Roll and/or stretch the pizza dough into 10 x 16-inch rectangle. Put it onto a large cutting board. Use a knife or pizza cutter to cut it into 12 10-inch long strips. (Note: If you want softer, fluffier garlic knots, roll dough to an 8 x 12-inch rectangle and cut into 10 8-inch long strips instead).
- Tie each strip into a loose knot and put it onto the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining strips. Dust the tops of the garlic knots with kosher salt. Cover with a clean tea towel and let rise for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Remove tea towel and bake uncovered until golden in places and cooked through, 15-20 minutes.
- Just before the garlic knots are ready to come out of the oven, put the butter into a small microwave safe bowl. Microwave butter 20 seconds at a time until completely melted. Stir in garlic powder.
- Use a metal spatula to get under the garlic knots in case any of stuck to the pan a little bit. Transfer them to a big bowl. Drizzle with the butter and then use a large spoon to stir them gently so that they are all coated in butter.
- Transfer buttery knots to a serving plate and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and parsley. Serve immediately.