- 2 Tbsp. toasted pine nuts
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 and ½ cups packed fresh basil leaves, thick stems removed
- ½ cup grated Pecorino or Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp. salt
- In the bowl of a food processor fitted with blade attachment add toasted pine nuts and garlic. Cover and pulse until ingredients are well minced.
- Add basil, Pecorino, olive oil, and salt. Pulse until all ingredients are finely minced and have formed a thick sauce.
- Serve immediately or transfer pesto to a glass or ceramic container and store in refrigerator, covered, up to three days.
If storing in refrigerator, pour enough olive oil over the top of the pesto to cover it, and then seal the glass or ceramic container. This will help to prevent the basil from oxidizing and turning dark.