Farro Salad with Roasted Cauliflower
Like pasta and rice, farro is fantastic in a salad. This one has roasted cauliflower and some delicious Italian flavors like Parmesan and pine nuts.
Whenever I make farro, I always make some extra because I love to turn it into a quick salad side dish the next day. Just like pasta and rice, farro is great as a salad. This one is really special because it has roasted cauliflower in it. The flavor of roasted cauliflower is just plain bliss, don’t you think?
To make this salad you get some cauliflower and mix it with diced tomatoes before roasting it together in the oven. When it’s done, you add some pine nuts to the pan and bake for a few minutes more, until they’re toasted. You toss that mixture with some cooked farro and some olive oil. Top with Parmesan cheese.
Mmm…right? Do you see some Italian flavors going on? Yes! Because Italians love farro. We should call this Insalata di Farro!
- 1/2 head of cauliflower
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. coarse black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. pine nuts
- 2 cups cooked farro
- 1/4 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese (plus more for garnish)
- chopped fresh parsley or basil for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Break the cauliflower into small florets (or chop roughly). Put it on a large sheet pan along with the tomatoes and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Stir. Roast for 20 minutes. Scatter with pine nuts. Cook until pine are starting to brown, about 3 more minutes.
- Transfer cauliflower mixture to a large bowl. Add the farro and the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Stir. Season with more salt and pepper if desired. Serve sprinkled with the Parmesan cheese and parsley or basil.
Leave a Comment