For this recipe, you toss together hot pasta, hollandaise sauce, a bit of the pasta cooking water and some fried Canadian bacon. Then you top it with a poached egg and serve. I’ve given the recipe for a single serving. From there, you can double, triple, quadruple…
- 2 oz. uncooked spaghetti
- 2 slices Canadian bacon, chopped
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp. hollandaise sauce (warm, cold, or room temperature are all fine)
- Cook the spaghetti according to package directions but before draining the pasta scoop out a few tablespoons of the cooking liquid.
- While it cooks, put on a pot of water to boil and then reduce it to a subtle simmer (this will be for poaching the egg later). Heat a small frying pan over medium heat. Add the Canadian bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned in spots. Remove from heat. Set aside.
- After draining the pasta, poach the egg in the simmering water. Here’s a great method for poaching eggs.
- Toss the hot spaghetti with the hollandaise sauce and the bacon. Add a dribble of the cooking liquid. Add enough to make the sauce moist and silky. Put the spaghetti on a plate and top with the poached egg.