Learn how to make this easy egg drop soup recipe. It’s ready in under 15 minutes and is a comforting and fun appetizer for any night.
Listen to me explain briefly about how to make this delicious soup, with some great tips along the way, by clicking the play button below:[sc name="eggdropsoupupdatedrotd"][/sc]
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/4 tsp. sesame oil
- 8 oz. sliced mushrooms (buy them pre-sliced)
- 2 green onions
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. sesame seeds
- 1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. cornstarch, divided
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 3 eggs
- Put a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the butter and sesame oil. When the butter melts, add the mushrooms. Stir. Turn heat to high and cook for 2 minutes.
- While the mushrooms cook, chop the green onions and set them aside for later.
To the mushrooms add the chicken stock and the soy sauce. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer.
- While the broth is heating, put the sesame seeds in a small pan and put it on medium heat. Stir occasionally until lightly toasted 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside for later.
- Once the soup is simmering, in a small bowl combine 1 tablespoon of the cornstarch with the water. Add 1/4 cup of the hot chicken broth to the bowl. Stir and then pour it all into the soup. Continue to simmer the broth while you prep the eggs.
- In a medium bowl whisk the 3 eggs together with 1 teaspoon of cornstarch. Reduce the heat of the soup until it is barely simmering at all. While gently whisking in a large circle around the pot, stream in the eggs thinly. Stop stirring and let the eggs cook for 20 seconds or so.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with the green onions and toasted sesame seeds.