Easy Chicken Cheddar Stuffed Peppers
Welcome to my Easiest-Ever Stuffed Peppers Recipe. There’s nothing to pre-cook for these Chicken Cheddar Stuffed Peppers. Put the ingredients in the peppers, bake, and voila!
Who doesn’t love stuffed peppers? Actually, I never used to like them much, mostly because they’re a pain to make. Needing to cook a filling and then stuff and then bake was too much for me.
But then I started filling them with leftovers. That was brilliant, if I may say so myself.
Leftover Stuffed Peppers
There’s nothing quite like a bell pepper stuffed with leftover paella. Nothing, that is, except for a red bell pepper stuffed with leftover spaghetti Bolognese, topped with cheese that’s bubbling and oozing so much that you know it’s going to burn the roof of your mouth.
So that’s how I’ve been stuffing peppers for the last few years. And it’s been good. It’s a great way to breathe new life into leftovers.
But lately I wondered if there was a filling for stuffed peppers that didn’t require pre-cooking of any kind.
Chicken Cheddar Stuffed Peppers
I found it! With this stuffed pepper recipe, you combine the raw ingredients and seasonings in the peppers and it all gets cooked in the oven together. While I enjoy all sorts of stuffed peppers (and even devoted a series to them on TheCookful, this one is a real time-saver.
With the oven preheated to 400°F, you combine the panko breadcrumbs, seasonings, and some of the cheese in a bowl. This gets rubbed together to incorporate the cheese with the breadcrumbs, and set aside to use as the topping.
The chopped chicken (still raw!) gets mixed with thyme, salt, cheese, and some flour. This is the filling that goes into the halved bell peppers.
On a baking sheet, arrange the bell peppers cut side up, fill with the chicken mixture, and top with the cheesy breadcrumbs. Bake until the chicken is cooked through and the crumbs are golden brown, 22-25 minutes. Yum!
Serve with a side salad or something like this Whole Roasted Broccoli – it cooks at the same temperature as the peppers and only takes a few minutes longer. Simple and delicious for a weeknight dinner.
These stuffed peppers are a breeze to make because the filling doesn’t have to be cooked before the peppers are stuffed.
- 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- black pepper
- olive oil
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 3/4 lb chicken breast cutlets, roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh thyme leaves (1 tsp. dried leaves)
- 2 tsp. all-purpose white flour
- 4 red bell peppers, halved from stem to base and de-seeded
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- In a small bowl combine the panko, garlic powder, 1/8 teaspoon of salt, 1/8 teaspoon of black pepper, 1 teaspoon of olive oil and 1/3 cup of the shredded cheese. Use your fingers to rub the crumbs and cheese together until the bits of cheese are about the size of the larger crumbs. Set aside.
- In a second bowl combine the chicken, thyme, 1/4 teaspoon of salt the remaining 2/3 cup cheese and the flour.
- Brush the outsides of the peppers lightly with olive oil (about 1 tablespoon will be enough for them all) and sprinkle lightly with salt. Arrange them on a baking sheet cup-side-up. Fill each half of pepper with approximately 1/4 cup of the chicken filling and then top each with about 1 tablespoon of the crumbs.
- Bake until the chicken is cooked through and the crumbs on top are golden brown, 22-25 minutes.