Popcorn Balls are traditional at Halloween. These ones are even Halloweenier because they look like little pumpkins.
The gummy fruit slices you need tend to not be sold as a single color. I buy the 20 oz. bag of assorted colors and there are enough green ones in there to do a batch of the popcorn balls (you only need 4 candies to make 16 popcorn balls). For a more finished look to the stems, after slicing the candies roll each slice in a bit of regular sugar. Then the cut edges will have sugar on them just like the uncut edges do.
- 4 green gummy candy fruit slices (like these)
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. neon orange gel food coloring
- 10.5 oz. bag mini marshmallows
- 1 (8 oz.) bag kettle corn (or 14 cups popped popcorn)
- Lightly oil a large baking sheet.
- Cut each gummy candy into 4 curved strips.
- In a large pot melt the butter over low heat. Whisk in the food coloring until evenly blended. Add the marshmallows and stir continuously until smooth and evenly orange.
- Add the popcorn and stir gently but thoroughly until all coated. Remove from heat.
- Moisten hands with water and begin to shape popcorn into 16 2 and ½ inch balls.
- Moisten your hands regularly to stop them from sticking to the mixture. (I keep the tap running gently throughout to make it easy to get them wet regularly). Place balls on the prepared baking sheet as you go. Immediately insert the green candy strips into the tops of the balls before they set. Let set for 30 minutes before serving.