6 Easy Champagne Cocktails: The Black Velvet
Note: COOK the STORY may receive a commission on purchases made through Amazon/affiliate links.
For New Year’s Eve, I’m sharing 6 easy champagne cocktails that together only use 9 simple ingredients.
So I read about this Champagne cocktail awhile ago. I don’t know where I saw it but I do remember that the writer called it “Surprisingly good.” I was like, “Ha! How could beer and Champagne mixed together possibly be good??” And then I tried it. And I was like, “Wow! That is surprisingly good!”
Really, there’s no other way to describe it.
Unless of course you’re a beer-loving man like my husband who said, “Why would you do that to my beer?” He did not find it “surprisingly good” but instead, unsurprisingly bad. I’m wondering if true beer-lovers (like The Hubs) won’t really like it much whereas non-beer-lovers (like me) find that it takes the bitter edge off the beer making it very pleasant indeed.
This drink is part of my “6 Easy Champagne Cocktails, 9 Simple Ingredients” series. Get the list of nine ingredients needed to make the six cocktails here.
Champagne cocktails don’t get more delicious than this!
The other champagne cocktails are listed below the recipe.
Stout Champagne Cocktail - The Black Velvet
I haven't given amounts here because it depends on the size of your glass. Do your best to pour the sparkling wine over the back of a spoon so that the cocktail has two layers. But if it doesn't work (it rarely does for me) don't worry, just drink.
- cold stout (like Guiness)
- cold sparkling wine
- Get out a tall glass. Fill it halfway with the stout.
- Hold a soup spoon bottom-side-up (so the bowl of the spoon is a hill, not a valley) and let the tip of the bowl of the spoon just touch the glass right above where the beer ends.
- Slowly pour the champagne over the back of the spoon. As you pour, glide your spoon up the glass so that it is always just above the liquid.
- You should now have a nice golden layer resting above a black layer. Or not. Either way, drink.
Here are the links to the other easy champagne cocktails
- 20 Festive Champagne Cocktails Plus Champagne Recipes
- 6 Easy Champagne Cocktails, 9 Simple Ingredients, Today: The Barbotage
- 6 Easy Champagne Cocktails, 9 Simple Ingredients, Today: The French 75
- 6 Easy Champagne Cocktails, 9 Simple Ingredients: Sparkling Sangria : Cook the Story
- Six Easy Champagne Cocktails that use Nine Simple Ingredients : Cook the Story
- 6 Easy Champagne Cocktails, 9 Simple Ingredients, Today: The Poinsetta : Cook the Story
- New Years Cocktail: Black Velvet « Putney Farm