This delicious and healthy side dish is just like the classic steakhouse creamed spinach but it uses shredded collard greens for a new twist.
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cups milk
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 16 oz. finely shredded collard greens
- In a medium saucepan melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic, stir and remove from the heat.
- Sprinkle in the flour and stir well. Slowly drizzle in the milk, stopping to stir occasionally. Add the salt and pepper. Return to medium heat and stir continuously until it reaches a simmer. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the shredded collards a bit at a time so that they wilt to make space for more.
- Once all of it is in, cook just until dark green and slightly wilted, 2-3 minutes, using tongs to flip and stir constantly.
- Add the sauce and stir. Add more salt and pepper to taste if desired.