These creamed collard greens are a delicious and healthy side dish that puts a new twist on the classic steakhouse creamed spinach.
Collard greens aren’t something that I’d tried before moving to the states. Nowadays though, they’re a regular thing. This is especially true now that I can get them pre-washed and chopped ready to use. They’re seriously so convenient.
Recently, SuperFit Greens hired me to develop some recipes using their chopped collard greens and some other varieties of greens as well. These recipes are on their packaging, which is really cool. Check this out:
I love seeing my work out in the world.
But I hear you, those recipes and pictures are hard to see in that Instagram snap. So in the weeks ahead, I’m going to share some of the recipes with you right here. Today’s recipe is for Creamed Collard Greens. It’s like that beloved steakhouse classic, creamed spinach, but with the twist of a more flavorful green. This is a great way to try collards if you haven’t before. It’s familiar and delicious. And healthy, of course. Best of all, it’s super easy to make. A perfect side dish to brighten up a dinner with some healthy and tasty veg.Print
This delicious and healthy side dish is just like the classic steakhouse creamed spinach but it uses shredded collard greens for a new twist.
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cups milk
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 16 oz. finely shredded collard greens
- In a medium saucepan melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic, stir and remove from the heat.
- Sprinkle in the flour and stir well. Slowly drizzle in the milk, stopping to stir occasionally. Add the salt and pepper. Return to medium heat and stir continuously until it reaches a simmer. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the shredded collards a bit at a time so that they wilt to make space for more.
- Once all of it is in, cook just until dark green and slightly wilted, 2-3 minutes, using tongs to flip and stir constantly.
- Add the sauce and stir. Add more salt and pepper to taste if desired.