The best Cream of Mushroom Soup recipe. It uses fresh mushrooms and is ready in under 15 minutes.
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 3.5 oz. shiitake mushrooms
- 16 oz. sliced cremini (baby bella) mushrooms (buy them already sliced)
- 6 cups low or no-sodium vegetable or chicken broth, divided
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. coarse black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- 5 Tbsp. flour
- 1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk
- 1/4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- Put a large skillet over medium heat and add the butter and olive oil.
- Chop the onion and add it to the pot. Stir. De-stem the shiitake mushrooms. Discard stems and slice the caps.
- Put slices and the cremini mushrooms into the skillet. Increase heat to high. Stir occasionally until wilted and browned in places.
- Meanwhile, pour 5 cups of the broth into a large pot or Dutch oven. Put it on high heat. Add the salt and pepper. Cover.
- Mince the garlic cloves.
- Measure the flour and remaining 1 cup of broth into a mason jar. Put on the lid tightly and shake it really really well.
- Add the minced garlic to the mushrooms and stir. Remove the skillet from the heat. Add the flour mixture and stir well.
- Once the broth has reached a simmer remove it from the heat. Stir in the evaporated milk and then the mushroom and flour mixture.
- Return to heat just until it reaches a simmer. Remove from heat. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce. Pulse with an immersion blender* until most of the mushrooms are in small pieces (I like to leave some big pieces though). Serve.
- If you don’t have an immersion blender, transfer about 3/4 of the mushrooms along with about half of the broth (or however much fits) into a blender or food processor. Blend until mushrooms are in small pieces. Return it to the soup pot and stir.