All the flavors of a traditional Irish Corned Beef and Cabbage dinner but in a quick soup.
To get this soup ready in under 15 minutes first read it through. As you read gather together all of the tools, pots and ingredients that you’ll need. No need to do any prep of the ingredients though. All of the preparations are included in the instructions and are part of the 15 minute recipe time. See you in 15!
Yield: 10 cups
- 1 Tbsp. neutral oil (such as vegetable or grape seed)
- 1 (16 oz.) bag shredded cabbage (usually used for making coleslaw)
- 2 cups carrot matchsticks (sometimes sold as shredded carrots)
- 1 small onion
- 2 medium baking potatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ tsp. ground allspice
- ¼ tsp. dry mustard powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. coarse black pepper
- 6 cups low or no-sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb. piece of deli corned beef
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large pot or Dutch oven. Add the shredded cabbage, stir and then cover the pot. Roughly chop the carrot matchsticks and add them to the pot. Cover. Peel and chop the onion. Add it to the pot, stir and cover.
- Put the potatoes on a microwave-safe plate and prick them each a few times with a fork. Put them in the microwave for 3 minutes. Flip them over and microwave until fork tender, about 1-2 more minutes.
- While the potatoes cook, mince the garlic. Add it to the cabbage along with the allspice, dry mustard, salt, and pepper. Stir. Add the chicken broth. Cover and increase the heat to high.
- Chop the corned been into 1/2-inch chunks. Use an oven mitt to get the potatoes out of the microwave and chop them into 1/2-inch pieces.
- When the chicken broth reaches a boil, add the corned beef and potatoes and reduce heat to a high simmer. Cook stirring occasionally until the veggies are tender, 2-3 minutes more.