Cornbread Casserole is a classic side dish recipe and this recipe uses homemade cornbread croutons, peppers, shallots and plenty of butter for a classic flavor.
I love a good casserole. It’s like a hug in side dish form, really. And this cornbread casserole, no exception whatsoever. All you really need to do is make some cornbread into homemade croutons and bake it up with some bell peppers and shallots for flavor.
Making Cornbread Casserole
Speaking of shallots, I adore them. They add this really mildly sweet flavor to a dish when you caramelize them in butter which is exactly what we’re doing here. It’s the perfect thing to add to the cornbread and I love that they’re milder than onions.
I use boxed cornbread here, two 8.5 oz. boxes is plenty to serve whoever is at your table. Just bake them according to the box directions, and then cut the cornbread into cubes. Leave the cornbread out overnight to dry out so it doesn’t get soggy when you bake it with the stock and eggs. While you let the bread dry out overnight, make some more sides! Try my healthy sweet potato casserole, broccoli cheese casserole, or my mushroom and barley dish.
This is best served warm and fresh, right out of the oven for a maximum amount of comfort. Just trust me on that part.Print
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Rest Time: 8 hours
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 8 hours 40 minutes
- Yield: 8–10 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Cornbread Casserole is a classic side dish recipe and this recipe uses homemade cornbread croutons, peppers, shallots, and plenty of butter.
- 2 (8.5 oz.) packages of cornbread mix, prepared according to package directions
- 6 Tbsp. butter
- 4 shallots, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 2 room temperature eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- The night before making the casserole, prepare the cornbread according to the package directions.
- Cool it on a wire rack, cut the cornbread into cubes and leave it out on the counter to dry out overnight.
- When you’re ready to make the casserole, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Add the butter to a saucepan over medium heat.
- Dice the shallots and the peppers and add them to the saucepan.
- Saute for about 8 minutes, or until everything is soft.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the stock, eggs, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. When the veggies have cooked and cooled slightly, add them and the butter to the wet mixture.
- Toss in the cornbread cubes, and coat evenly.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 9 x 11-inch casserole dish and pop in the oven for about 30 minutes or until it isn’t jiggling.
- Cool in the pan and serve warm!
Leave a Reply