The filling for these stuffed mushrooms is quick and easy to make. I bet you’ll have the filling made and the mushrooms stuffed before your oven is preheated.
- 16 white or cremini (small brown) mushrooms
- 1/2 cup homemade or canned chili (if it’s runny, drain off some liquid before measuring)
- 1/4 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup + 3 Tbsp. shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Use your fingers to pop the stems off the mushrooms. If some stem stays inside the cap, use a pairing knife to gently cut it out. Save stems for another use (spaghetti sauce!).
- In a small bowl combine the chili, cream cheese, and 1/4 cup of cheddar cheese. Taste and add some salt and pepper if needed.
- Mound about 1 tablespoon of filling onto each mushroom. Press down slightly so that it enters the cap and doesn’t just sit on top. Top each mushroom with a few shreds of cheese.
- Bake until cheese on top is melted and starting to brown, about 15-17 minutes.