This stuffed mushrooms recipe is the easiest one I’ve ever made, but so tasty you’d never know it.
This stuffed mushroom recipe is different from many that I’ve tried in that the filling is super-simple to make. In fact, the filling is made and the mushrooms are stuffed before the oven is even done preheating.
Making The Chili Filling
The filling for the mushrooms is made using chili. Whip up a batch of this Quick Chili (it’s ready, start to finish, in less than 15 minutes) for dinner one night. Then use a scoop of the leftovers to make this filling. Or use any leftover homemade chili recipe or even buy a can at the grocery store. Easy.
Once you’ve got the chili, mix it with cream cheese and cheddar cheese and then it’s ready for mushrooms.
How To Make Chili Stuffed Mushrooms
Use your chili mix from above and mound some onto each mushroom cap, pressing down a bit to fill the cap. I use little white or cremini mushrooms for this.
Top each mushroom with a bit more cheddar and bake until the cheese is melted and starting to brown, about 15 minutes. See? So simple and super-duper tasty.
Oh, and for another delicious dinner idea that uses chili, be sure to also check out my recipe for chili enchiladas.
The filling for these stuffed mushrooms is quick and easy to make. I bet you’ll have the filling made and the mushrooms stuffed before your oven is preheated.
- 16 white or cremini (small brown) mushrooms
- 1/2 cup homemade or canned chili (if it’s runny, drain off some liquid before measuring)
- 1/4 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup + 3 Tbsp. shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Use your fingers to pop the stems off the mushrooms. If some stem stays inside the cap, use a pairing knife to gently cut it out. Save stems for another use (spaghetti sauce!).
- In a small bowl combine the chili, cream cheese, and 1/4 cup of cheddar cheese. Taste and add some salt and pepper if needed.
- Mound about 1 tablespoon of filling onto each mushroom. Press down slightly so that it enters the cap and doesn’t just sit on top. Top each mushroom with a few shreds of cheese.
- Bake until cheese on top is melted and starting to brown, about 15-17 minutes.