This easy Chicken Vindaloo, inspired by one of my favorite local Indian restaurants, takes advantage of pre-made garam masala and spices from the pantry.
Serve with white rice and garnish with fresh cilantro.
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. red pepper flakes, reduce to accommodate your spicy tolerance
- 1 Tbsp. paprika
- 1 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger
- 2 tsp. garam masala
- 1 tsp. ground mustard
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- ½ cup water or low-sodium chicken broth
- In a large metal or glass mixing bowl, combine the garlic, red pepper flakes, paprika, ginger, garam masala, ground mustard, turmeric, brown sugar, vinegar, and lemon juice. Stir to combine.
- Add the chicken and stir making sure that all pieces are coated with the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, and add the olive oil. Add onions and cook until softened, 5 – 8 minutes.
- Add the chicken and any marinade in the bowl and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and water or chicken broth, stir to combine. Reduce the heat and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook an additional 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve over rice and garnish with cilantro.