You’ll love my amazing recipe for tasty, satisfying, flavorful chicken tikka masala—it’s the absolute best!
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tsp. grated fresh ginger
- 4 tsp. garam masala
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt, or more to taste
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs or a mixture, cut into 1 and 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 and 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1 (28-oz.) can crushed tomatoes, strained tomatoes, or tomato puree
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Chopped fresh cilantro or cilantro sprigs for garnish
- Cooked rice for serving
- Naan bread for serving
- Combine the garlic, ginger, garam masala, coriander, cumin, and turmeric.
- Combine the yogurt, salt, and about half of the garlic-ginger mixture.
- Put the chicken in a large resealable bag and add the yogurt mixture. Squeeze out as much as air as possible, seal the bag, and set aside in the refrigerator to marinate for at least 4 hours and as long as overnight.
- Thread the chicken onto skewers (discard marinade).
- Preheat a grill to high and lightly oil the grate (or preheat the broiler, position a rack about 5 inches from the heat, and lightly oil a rimmed baking sheet). Grill (or broil) the chicken, turning once or twice, until just cooked through and browned in spots, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and lightly browned, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the chili powder, cardamom, cayenne, and remaining garlic-ginger mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and salt and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and stir in the cream. Adjust the heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until the sauce is thickened to your liking, about 10 minutes. Add salt to taste.
- Take the chicken off the skewers and add it to the sauce. Cook 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve with rice and naan. Garnish with cilantro.