Chicken with Butternut Squash and Sage
Note: COOK the STORY may receive a commission on purchases made through Amazon/affiliate links.
It’s officially fall and I’m breaking out my favorite Butternut Squash Recipe. It’s a one-pan dinner of chicken pieces, sage and cubes of butternut squash that get soft and sweet. You’re going to love this one!
I just plain love butternut squash. It’s got that meaty satisfying texture while being sweet and delicate at the same time. I especially love when it’s cooked with sage and butter. Mmmmm.
For this one-pan chicken dinner cubes of the squash are tossed with melted butter and sage leaves. Then it gets tumbled over chicken drumsticks in a big pan. I really like my very large cast iron skillet for this one.
You roast it all until the chicken is done and the squash is soft, with a few caramelized edges here and there. Add some nice crusty bread or some wild rice and you’ve got yourself such a delicious Fall dinner.
If you love butternut squash like I do, you’ll also want to check out this recipe for Grilled Scallops with Butternut Squash. It’s an interesting recipe because the squash is par-cooked ahead of time and then grilled as part of the skewers. I just love the way the grilled bits get so so sweet.
And now, here’s my Chicken with Sage and Butternut Squash Recipe. Have a beautiful day!
There’s nothing better than a one-pan dinner. Put everything in the pan, put it in the oven and walk away. With this one, you’ll come back 45 minutes later to a pan full of juicy chicken and sweet soft butternut squash, perfect for a fall evening.
- 1 (2lb.) butternut squash
- 14 medium-sized fresh sage leaves, divided
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 8 chicken drumsticks, with or without skin
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. coarse black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Peel the squash and trim ¼ inch off of the top and bottom. Discard. Cut squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds and discard (or you can set them aside to wash and roast separately as you would pumpkin seeds). Cut into cubes (roughly ½ to ¾ inches each).
- Transfer squash cubes to a large bowl. Tear 10 sage leaves in half and add them along with the butter. Toss to coat.
- Put the chicken in a single layer in a large pan. Drizzle it with the oil and rub it around to coat.
- Arrange squash and sage around the chicken pieces (not over the chicken) trying to keep the sage up on top so that it will toast nicely. Sprinkle everything with the salt and pepper.
- Bake until chicken is cooked through to 165F on an instant read thermometer and squash is soft, about 45 minutes.
- Garnish with remaining 4 sage leaves and serve.
Disclosure: This post contains an affiliate link meaning that if you click it and buy something, I receive a small commission at no additional charge to you. All opinions are mine.
This post originally appeared in October 2014 and was revised and republished in September 2016.
One-Pan Crunchy Chicken and Broccoli with Cheese
Blog Partner Spotlight – Christine @ Cook the Story | OAMC from Once A Month Meals
Butternut Squash, Roasted Apple and Goats' Cheese Dip - Cook the Story
Healthy Cooking: Stoneware | rachelorie
Leave a Comment