It’s officially fall and I’m breaking out my favorite Butternut Squash Recipe. It’s a one-pan dinner of chicken pieces, sage, and cubes of butternut squash that get soft and sweet. You’re going to love this one!
I just plain love butternut squash. It’s got that meaty satisfying texture while being sweet and delicate at the same time. I especially love when it’s cooked with sage and butter. Mmmmm.
How To Make Chicken With Butternut Squash
For this one-pan chicken dinner, cubes of the squash are tossed with melted butter and sage leaves. Then it gets tumbled over chicken drumsticks in a big pan. I really like my very large cast iron skillet for this one.
You roast it all until the chicken is done and the squash is soft, with a few caramelized edges here and there. Add some nice crusty bread or some wild rice and you’ve got yourself such a delicious Fall dinner.
If you love butternut squash like I do, you’ll also want to check out this recipe for Cranberry Glazed Butternut Squash. It’s such an amazing flavor combination that is perfect for a fall dinner.
Have a beautiful day! – ChristinePrint
Chicken with Butternut Squash and Sage
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Entrée
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
There’s nothing better than a one-pan dinner. Put everything in the pan, put it in the oven and walk away. With this one, you’ll come back 45 minutes later to a pan full of juicy chicken and sweet soft butternut squash, perfect for a fall evening.
- 1 (2 lb.) butternut squash
- 14 medium-sized fresh sage leaves, divided
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 8 chicken drumsticks, with or without skin
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Peel the squash and trim ¼ inch off of the top and bottom. Discard. Cut squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds and discard (or you can set them aside to wash and roast separately as you would pumpkin seeds). Cut into cubes (roughly ½ to ¾ inches each).
- Transfer squash cubes to a large bowl. Tear 10 sage leaves in half and add them along with the butter. Toss to coat.
- Put the chicken in a single layer in a large pan. Drizzle it with the oil and rub it around to coat.
- Arrange squash and sage around the chicken pieces (not over the chicken) trying to keep the sage up on top so that it will toast nicely. Sprinkle everything with the salt and pepper.
- Bake until chicken is cooked through to 165°F on an instant read thermometer and squash is soft, about 45 minutes.
- Garnish with remaining 4 sage leaves and serve.
This post originally appeared in October 2014 and was revised and republished in September 2016.
Leave a Reply