Chicken Pot Pie is the world’s best comfort food. Juicy chicken and vegetables in a creamy filling inside of a flaky crust can’t be beaten.
For the crust:
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) cold butter, cubed
- 4–5 Tbsp. ice water
For the filling:
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 and 1/2 cups celery, diced
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast or thighs, in 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. fresh thyme
- 1/8 tsp. paprika
- 1 cup frozen, mixed vegetables (I like peas, corn and carrots)
- 2 cups cream of chicken soup (if you want to make your own, here’s my recipe)*
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp. water
- Make the pastry by adding the flour, salt, pepper, and butter to a food process or bowl. Work the butter into the flour with the processor or a pastry cutter until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
- Add the water gradually until the dough pulls together. Shape the dough into a disc and wrap in plastic wrap. Let the crust dough rest in the fridge for 30 minutes while you prepare the filling.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat until bubbly.
- Add the onion and celery and cook for 3 minutes to soften. Add the chicken.
- Cook stirring occasionally until chicken is browned and cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, flour, salt, pepper, paprika, and thyme and cook for 3 minutes. Then add the frozen vegetables and cream of chicken soup.
- Bring the mixture to a slow boil, scraping the bottom of the pan to get all of the flavor bits up. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes until thick and bubbly.
- Pour the filling into a pie plate.
- Roll the crust dough out to a circle that’s about 10 inches in diameter. Lay the crust on top of the pie plate and the filling.
- Whisk the egg and tablespoon of water together and brush all over the crust. Pierce the crust with a fork or knife to create vent holes.
- Bake until the crust is golden and filling is bubbly, about 35 minutes. Let rest for 5-10 minutes before cutting and serving.
- Note that this is cream of chicken soup NOT condensed