This homemade chicken noodle soup is ready in under 15 minutes. The key to the quick soup is to microwave the broth to get it up to cooking temperature quickly, buy carrots that are already cut into matchsticks, cut the chicken into small pieces so that it cooks quickly and make sure to use noodles with a short cooking time (3-4 minutes, like fine egg noodles).
Before starting this recipe, read through it and gather together all of the tools and ingredients that you’ll need. Then start cooking. See you in 15!
- 7 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 cups carrot matchsticks
- 1 small onion
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. coarse black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- ¾ lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 3)
- 2 cups uncooked fine egg noodles (or other noodles with very short required cooking time)
- Pour the chicken stock into a large microwave-safe bowl and microwave it on high for 6 minutes.
- Put a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the oil and butter. Roughly chop the carrot matchsticks and add them to the butter.
- Stir. Chop the onion and add it. Stir. Peel and mince the garlic and add it along with the salt, pepper and bay leaf. Stir and cook for 30 seconds.
- The broth in the microwaves should be finished around now. Carefully add the hot broth to the pot. Stir. Cover and increase heat to high.
- Chop the chicken into ½ inch pieces. When the broth comes to a boil, stir in the chicken. Bring it back to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until chicken is cooked through, about 1 minute.
- Increase the heat to high and add the fine egg noodles. When it comes back to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook until noodles are al dente, about 3 minutes. Remove bay leaf. Taste and add more salt and pepper if desired.