Follow these simple instructions to make Chicken Kiev easily. It’s a delicious and impressive chicken dish flavored with parsley, garlic, and butter.
For the filling:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
For the chicken:
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp. salt, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp. water
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 cup olive or canola oil
- To make the filling, mix together the softened butter, parsley, grated garlic, oregano, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Scoop the mixture out onto a piece of plastic wrap and form into a log. Wrap tightly, and place in the freezer for 15 minutes while you prep the chicken.
- Pound the chicken breasts out between two pieces of plastic wrap or parchament paper until they’re an even thickness. Lay the chicken on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Remove the butter filling from the freezer and cut into strips.
- Lay one strip (about 2 tablespoons of butter) on the wide edge of one of the chicken pieces. Roll the chicken up around the butter. If desired, secure with toothpicks. Repeat with each piece of chicken.
- Place the parchment lined baking sheet with the chicken rolls into the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400F and prepare the breading.
- Lay three bowls out on your counter. To one, add the flour and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt. To another, add the egg and water and whisk. To the third, add the remaining salt, panko, garlic powder, and paprika.
- Once the chicken has chilled, heat a thick bottom skillet or dutch oven over medium high heat and add the oil.
- Roll the chicken first in the flour, then the egg mixture, and finally the panko mixture, coating each chicken roll.
- Once all of the chicken rolls are coated, place them in the hot oil, and cook for aobut 3-5 minutes per side, or until the breading is golden brown.
- Remove the chicken from the oil and place on a baking sheet with a rack. Place in the oven and bake for about 15- 18 minutes, or until an digital read thermometer reads 165F internally.
- Rest for 7-10 minutes before slicing and serving.