Crispy Chicken Fried Chicken smothered in a peppery cream gravy can only be described as the ultimate comfort food.
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. pepper
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut and pounded into 4 cutlets
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups low sodium chicken stock, divided
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 4 cups peanut oil or shortening for frying
- In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, oregano and cayenne pepper. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the buttermilk, egg, and 1 tablespoon of spice mixture.
- Place the flattened chicken breasts in a gallon-size resealable freezer bag. Pour the buttermilk mixture over the chicken. Seal bag and massage to distribute the marinade evenly over the chicken. Refrigerate for 4 hours and up to 8 hours. If you just don’t have the time, allow the chicken to marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Make the Gravy: In a large skillet, over medium heat melt the butter. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic cooking until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Remove from heat. Whisk in the flour. Return to heat, whisk and cook the until the flour is lightly browned.
- Add 1/4 cup chicken broth and stirring to loosen any bits that are stuck to the pan. Remove from heat. Whisk in the salt and pepper then whisk in the chicken broth 1/4 cup at a time, keeping everything smooth as you go. Heat over medium heat and simmer to thicken, about 3 minutes.
- Add the cream, whisking until distributed. Keep warm while you fry the chicken.
- In a shallow bowl combine the flour, the remaining spice mixture, and baking powder.
- Remove the chicken from the freezer bag.
- Move the chicken breasts to the flour mixture allowing any excess marinade to drip into the flour. Coat both sides of the chicken breasts thoroughly in the flour mixture pressing the lumps created by the marinade into the breasts creating in a thick layer.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil or shortening to 350˚F.
- Working in batches, place two breasts at a time into the fat. Fry the chicken until the bottom is golden brown, about 4 minutes. Flip the chicken breasts carefully and cook until the second side is golden brown, about 2 more minutes.
- Remove from the oil and transfer to a wire cooling rack placed in a rimmed baking sheet.
- Repeat with the last 2 breasts and serve with gravy.