Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Note: COOK the STORY may receive a commission on purchases made through Amazon/affiliate links.
Dinner can be anything you want it to be. Today, I want it to be a delicious sandwich, like this Caprese Grilled Cheese. This post is sponsored by Sara Lee® Artesano™ Bread. All opinions are mine.
It’s Friday in Florida right after hurricane Irma hit. Let’s just say, it’s been a tough week. Now that it’s over, I don’t want to fuss too much over dinner. But I also don’t want anything boring.
A decadent but simple sandwich is just the thing.
The caprese grilled cheese is just the thing. It has mozzarella, olive oil, tomatoes and basil. There are only good things about all that, right?
To make this sandwich, first get out your bread. I went with the Sara Lee® Artesano™-style bread. It’s the newest Sara Lee® Bread on the market. It’s sliced thick with a super-soft texture and a golden crust.
Butter each slice of bread on one side. Then flip them over and brush the other sides with olive oil. Put the bread, butter-side-down, in a pan heating over low or medium-low (you want the bread to brown as the cheese melts so monitor the underside and adjust the temperature accordingly). Top each slice of bread with a mozzarella cheese slice.
Tent loosely with foil and cook, checking the undersides of the bread occasionally, until cheese is melted, 4-5 minutes. Top half of the bread slices with 2-3 slices of tomato. Sprinkle them with some sea salt and coarse black pepper and then top with fresh basil leaves.
Invert the cheese-only slices onto the basil and tomatoes. Transfer to a cutting board and slice in half. Dig in, stay safe, and relax. Happy Friday!
Dinner can be anything you want it to be. Today, I want it to be a delicious sandwich, like this Caprese Grilled Cheese.
- 4 slices Sara Lee® Artesano™ Bread
- 4 tsp. butter, softened (or you can use mayonnaise if your butter is cold and hard)
- 4 tsp. olive oil
- 4 deli-cut slices mozzarella cheese
- 1 large tomato, sliced into 6 slices
- sea salt or kosher salt
- coarse black pepper
- 4 large basil leaves
- Preheat a skillet or large frying pan over medium-low heat. Get out the bread. Butter one side of each slice with 1 teaspoon of butter each. Flip the bread over and brush each slice with 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Put the slices in the pan, butter-side-down. Top each slice with a slice of mozzarella. Tent loosely with foil and cook until bread is brown underneath and cheese is melted, 3-5 minutes (note that you should monitor the underside of the bread and if it is browning to quickly, reduce the heat). Remove from heat.
- Top two of the breads with 3 slices of tomato each, overlapping them tomatoes so that they fill but don’t overflow from the bread. Sprinkle tomatoes with a good pinch of sea salt and of pepper. Top tomatoes with basil leaves. Invert tomato-less breads over the basil leaves and transfer to a cutting board. Cut in half.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Sara Lee® Artesano™ Bread. All opinions are mine.
This post originally appeared in April, 2016 and was revised and republished in September, 2017.
Leave a Comment