This black bean soup recipe is not only delicious but it’s also extremely quick to make. It uses canned black beans, canned diced tomatoes, a touch of Canadian bacon, and it’s topped with the fresh flavors of tomato and cilantro.
You can jazz it up more by topping each serving with diced tomatoes, queso fresco, extra cilantro, green onions, crushed tortilla chips, or any other Tex-Mex toppings that you love.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 6 oz. sliced Canadian bacon or ham, minced
- 3 (15 oz.) cans low-sodium black beans
- 1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup cilantro leaves (plus more for serving)
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the Canadian bacon slices. Cook until lightly browned, 1-2 minutes. Remove to a cutting board.
- Meanwhile, empty the cans of black beans and diced tomatoes with their liquid to a large blender. Along with the garlic, chicken broth, ½ cup cilantro leaves, salt, and pepper. Pulse until all is in very small pieces (if your blender isn’t big enough, do this in two batches).
- Put the bean mixture in the pot over medium-high heat and cover it, stirring every few minutes until heated through.
- Meanwhile, finely chop the Canadian bacon and add it.
- Serve soup hot topped with additional fresh garnishes, if you’d like.